In 1886 Telford, located in Bucks County, was incorporated as borough.

Text Size

About Telford Borough

d2Like many small communities, Telford Borough has been impacted by large-scale malls and smaller strip malls located outside the Borough.

Telford Borough and her neighbor, Souderton Borough, joined forces and formed the Souderton – Telford Main Streets Program, a non-profit organization designed to encourage revitalization of both boroughs.

As a result, there have been several positive changes, while still nurturing the small town atmosphere.

The area known as Telford Borough today has been a dot on the map for close to two centuries. Although it has had several names, the location is the same. Telford Borough is located in southeastern Pennsylvania, approximately 40 miles northwest of Philadelphia.

Originally this small village provided services such as the sale of dry goods and blacksmithing to farmers in the area. It wasn't until the railroad cut through the middle of the village in the mid 1800s that Telford got its name and provided a place for merchants and farmers to ship and receive goods and materials.

In 1886, Telford, located in Bucks County, was incorporated as a borough. A year later, West Telford, located in Montgomery County, was incorporated as a borough. Up until 1936, the two towns operated as separate boroughs since state law in Pennsylvania prohibited a borough's boundaries to extend into another county. In 1936, the law was changed and two tiny boroughs merged to form Telford Borough. Today, straddling two counties adds to the uniqueness of Telford Borough.

According to the 2010 census, this quiet, primarily residential community is home to approximately 4,872people. A small commercial district provides services to the community and the surrounding area. Although there are several limited industrial facilities within Telford Borough, its location halfway between the Lehigh Valley and the greater Philadelphia area provides many employment opportunities within commuting distance.

The municipal government is comprised of the mayor and a seven member council. Telford Borough Council meets the first Monday evening of each month and if necessary holds a workshop meeting the third Monday of each month. A full-time manager oversees the day-to-day activities of the Borough, such as street maintenance and construction, sidewalks, street lighting, and park maintenance.

There are six parks in the Borough, three of which provide ball fields. The Indian Valley Farmers' Market is held each Saturday morning from June to mid-October at the municipal parking located in the center of the Borough. Public safety is provided by the Telford Borough Police Department, and the Telford Volunteer Fire Company provides fire protection to the Borough and surrounding area. Water and sewer services are provided by the Telford Borough Authority.

Souderton Area School District provides public education to the children within the Borough. Although there are no schools located within the Borough limits, the Indian Valley Public Library, which serves the Souderton Area School District, is situated in the Borough.

bottom

122 Penn Avenue, Telford, PA 18969 | Phone: 215-723-5000 | Fax: 215-723-5328
©2007-2014 Borough of Telford Pennsylvania. All rights reserved. Powered by Sitecats® Inc.